Sunday 10 November 2013

Monday 11th November 2013 - Elite Hurdle Review

First off, as it has been by far one of the most eventful weeks in racing I have witnessed for a long time, I would like to add my congratulations to Tony McCoy for reaching 4000 winners. (Also, due to it being Remembrance Sunday yesterday, I found it respectful to delay this posts publication, I wouldn't want to be promoting it on such an occasion). It was only a few weeks ago I wrote a piece in tribute to the Champion jockey (this can be seen one of my other posts) to everything he has given to the sport, it would certainly not be the same without him. It is a truly incredible feat, and to echo the great, late words of Sir Henry Cecil, regarding Frankel, "I'd be very surprised if there's ever been better" and ever will be...

Landmarks aside, Saturday's racing was a superb prospect beforehand and more than justified the hype. Wincanton's Badger Ales meeting is always popular and usually provides spectators with a fabulous day as often big names are declared and again gets people anticipating the jumps season in earnest. Although I had success when proudly tipping/advising Alfie Spinner e/w at 33-1 in the main race of the day, I wish to focus on the previous race, the Elite Hurdle, in which my luck seemed to have ran out. On my previous blog I did a piece on my Ten To Follow, (sadly this is now no longer viewable) one of which was yesterdays returning Melodic Rendezvous. Yet ironically I was encouraged by Harry Fry's promising 7 year old Karinga Dancer whom opposed- prior to the race he had won convincingly at Aintree yet it seemingly it hadn't taken a lot out of him, and on his last visit to the track had won by 10 lengths. Plus the fact that it appeared Melodic Rendezvous didn't beat a whole lot last season, especially with the entire Puffin Billy episode continuously loosing its appeal. But as ever, racing finds ways to remind those who fail to elude to it's unpredictability! As it turned out Karinga Dancer was unfathomably disappointing, he was the first horse off the bridle and only managed a tame 5th, and Melodic Rendezvous made me look an utter fool by winning like an extremely good animal. It would also be wise to add that the horses beaten were of a high standard too: Cotton Mill, Far West, Ahyaknowyerself and Ruler Of All respectively. Cotton Mill has always been a nice horse but personally I'm not his biggest fan, he was another who didn't travel particularly well when they began to quicken at the head of affairs yet will surely improve for his effort. Far West ran pretty much as expected and we know he's very good, it will be interesting to see how the Triumph Hurdle form with Our Conor works out. Personally I think Ahyaknowyerself ran a very good race in 3rd as well, yet this could just be subject to the fact he was one of the fitter contestants. The way the winner slipped coming around the bend and was able to pick up again after missing the 2nd last shows that he is clearly capable of better things, and must have secured himself in the Champion Hurdle picture now. He reportedly 'would need the run' by trainer Jeremy Scott, yet ran right to the line and stayed on impressively- this poses the question: How good could he be when fully fit and primed to run?



The 2013 Elite Hurdle winner, Melodic Rendezvous. Is he destined for Champion Hurdle victory come March?


It is often hard to judge the form at the beginning of the season and sometimes it does not always bare much importance, yet instinctually I feel Saturday's race will work out fine. For those who are interested, as mentioned previously, I did do a Ten To Follow piece, and the horses mentioned were: Melodic Rendezvous, Jezki, Inish Island, Godsmejudge, Theatre Guide, Tidal Bay, Montbazon, L'Unique, African Gold and (for those who follow me on Twitter) of course Last Instalment. Also on Saturday the winner of the Novice Chase at Wincanton was Wonderful Charm, so I found it appropriate to share the photo my stepfather took of him pre World Hurdle on the Thursday at this years Cheltenham festival.


A glace of determination from the masterful Ruby Walsh as Wonderful Charm circles at the start. (I was very jealous of my stepdad who doesn't bare much interest for racing! I was sadly at school at the time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment