Monday 21 October 2013

Monday 21st October 2013 - The return of National Hunt / 4000 Winners

Since I first became interested in horse racing, the jumps game has always been at the forefront of my passion. The sight of many a brave horse and jockey negotiating a path through mud-soaked turf and over numerous obstacles never fails to bring a smile to my face- whether it be Aintree, Fontwell, Haydock, Leopardstown or the sheer glorified atmosphere of Cheltenham. The hard work, mud, stories, sentiment and passion shown by those in the racing community mystifies me to the same degree as when my fixation with National Hunt began...

So as the October month nears its completion, the nights draw in and the temperatures drop, my focus this week has been on the transition from one almighty flat season to what promises to be a superb period over the jumps. I find it only fitting to begin my blog with a positive outlook on one of the main stories around at the current time. AP McCoy has been champion jockey 18 times. To the ordinary person, this seems an astonishing feat, but for those who understand the capabilities of one of the most idolised men in sport, it only begins to explain what this man has achieved. Currently the champion is remarkably 22 victories away from the magnificent 4000 benchmark. In my mind racing should look up to this man who has done wonders for the sport (above the likes of Frankie Dettori whom although embraces the media attention more which is very important, has ultimately betrayed the industry in his scandalous drugs ordeal). The bravery and resilience AP has shown is simply unthinkable and seemingly unattainable, he has been a relentless force ever since he arrived on the horse racing scene, the fact he has remained at the top and has only become stronger for the pain he has endured highlights to me how proud everyone should be of him. Regardless of my bias (as I admittedly take preference for the winter game over the showbiz and more financially impacted flat season) I believe although McCoy has also made mistakes, we should enjoy watching him doing what he does best this season and prepare for yet more scintillating performances in the saddle.

The firepower McCoy has at his fingertips this season is truly exciting. With the likes of the formidable At Fishers Cross, talented My Tent Or Yours, tough Teaforthree, promising Taquin Du Seuil and enigmatic Get Me Out Of Here to ride up and down the country is a delicious spectacle. Barring injury he is surely set for an outstanding year. In addition, not only do I recommend his autobiography but also his fiction material that has now been released (Taking The Fall) as I read the first few chapters of it online the other day. I hope you all join me in wishing him good luck in reaching 4000 winners and having a successful season that leaves us wanting more and forcing us to yet still question his skill and determination in the saddle. Undoubtedly and unquestionably he is a figure racing wouldn't be the same without.




AP's novel can be ordered online from stores such as Amazon. If you are keen into understanding the life of a jockey it is a read I would certainly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment